Friday, October 29, 2010

Boo!!

All Hallows Eve and Halloween was always a fun time for us kids. First of all, as Catholic School kids, we had the holy day off! We could cavort, eat ourselves into oblivion and have sleep overs for Halloween night without having the long arm of the law telling us "NO"!

We celebrated by having house parties after trick or treating in various neighborhoods. Dress up was normal for us - never a store-bought costume! "Beatnicks" were in-complete with guitars! My most vivid memory was a party at a friends house where her mom and older sisters came up with a "guess what it is" game. You would have a blindfold on and your hands were led to a plate full of "stuff". Peeled grapes were supposed to be eyeballs, something else was worms, etc. I was terrified! I mean, really scared, even though I could rationalize that there couldn't possible by someone's eyeball on a plate in the Ryan's basement, I got carried away in the fear.

I am happy to distribute candy to our little ones on Halloween. It's fun to see the kids each year in their costumes. It's a day where you can be free to express yourself in any way shape or form. To me, this year, I remember the loved ones that have passed this year, my friends Richie, Ollie and Fran. The souls that have separated from their bodies on this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment