Saturday, October 19, 2013

R & R

Spent a few restful days on the South Carolina shore last week.  It was a wonderful getaway for the two of us after a hectic summer.

I was amazed at the difference in the shoreline.  The tide went out so far, we could ride bikes on the hard surface of the ocean floor.  The wildlife was sparse at this time of year(Fall) but we enjoyed the sandpipers and gulls along our ride.  The ocean was warm enough to swim but the air had a nice chill in it, so I deferred.  Shells were tiny!  They were few and far between, unlike the west coast of Florida and our Fire Island beaches.  I found more shells on the golf course!  Yes, multi-tasking is one of my talents.  Hit the ball, stoop to look for shells, hit the ball.......

We loved Charleston and the history of the Civil War.  The Southern Hospitality was lovely.  I was called "ma'am" fifty times!  The food was yummy and there was plenty of great spots to dine.  I went to The Gibbes Museum to see photographic exhibit from the Civil War.  It showed the carnage caused by the muskets; the amount of casualties was almost 1/4 the population of the U.S. at the time.  Amazed at the clarity of the photographs and horrified at the site of so many dead and wounded.

The South has its charm, yes.  It also has it's dark side:  Slavery.  I would not bring myself to paying money to go to a southern plantation.  One couple in our group did and was astounded to hear the black man who gave the tour say that he was "so proud to have his family work this place for so many years."  I am sure that was the written speech that the tourists wanted to hear.  Those places were the scene of so much pain and sadness that the earth still holds the cries of women, men and children that were kept there to do the Masters bidding. 

It is a nice place to visit, but you won't catch me living there anytime soon.  The charm of Charleston may bring me back for some delicious grits and shrimp.  Till then, I'm a satisfied New Yorker!

No comments:

Post a Comment