Friday, July 23, 2010

Being a minister

It took a while, but I think that I've been able to wrap my brain around the "minister" title.
A friend told me that we already are ministers, in serving others and being of help to the people we meet daily. I love people and all of God's creatures! It makes me happy to be in company with like-minded people and talk about spiritual things. We are evolving as a species, hopefully.
But with that comes great responsibility.

To take care of each other is our job! Didn't one of the masters say "Love others as you love yourself." In stepping into a minister's role, I am just following the steps that I have already taken so many times before.

I was a candy striper during my high school years. I delivered newspapers and mail to patients at the local hospital. Then I worked in the gift shop. In college, a friend and I worked after classes at the hospital next door to our school. She went on to leave to go to nursing school and teaches today at a State University. Being of service came from my family. My parents taught us that "idle hands" thing! Volunteerism was a must!

When I see the "Footprints" poem, and there is one set of footprints in the sand, I know that I made many of those steps myself--going forward--but there was also the one that took over when I was weary-- where I was carried.

Enjoy Your Journey!
Rev. Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment